Today’s events include:
Today’s focus: Cook a Sweet Potato Day
Firstly, a sweet potato is not the same thing as a yam. They aren’t even closely related. Both sweet potatoes and yams come in a range of colours and shapes, so this is an easy mistake to make.
In comparing sweet potatoes and white potatoes, sweet potatoes offer a huge amount of vitamin A. A single serve – baked without any additives in the skin, sees sweet potatoes provide 22,000 IU (International Units) of Vitamin A, compared to just 14 IU from white potatoes.
Sweet potato also has more vitamin C, fewer calories, more fibre and fewer total carbs than white potatoes. Both have no fat content (unless added by cooking in oil or fat), and given western countries’ propensity for frying potatoes as fries/chips, that is worth noting.
White potatoes do have less sugar (2 grams vs 7 grams in the portions mentioned), are often cheaper, and are far more versitile for cooking with in general. But if your diet leaves something to be desired, consider sweet potatoes as an alternative.
What I got when I searched “best ever sweet potato recipe“, returned from allrecipes.com.
Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic
Prep: 20 mins Cook 1 hour 5 mins
Ingredients: 5x sweet potatoes 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 cup white sugar 2 tablespoons heavy cream 1/4 cup butter, softened 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.
(recipe has a video how to guide on allrecipes site)
Daily Trivia: In 1929, popular dog actor Rin-Tin-Tin may have received the most votes for the first Academy Award for Best Actor, but the Academy determined that a human should win.